- For a standard 15-minute appointment, please book online
- For appointments requiring more than 15-minutes please call 02 9725 1323.
- If you are booking a follow up appointment with us, then this can be done with our reception staff before you leave.
- For all childhood immunisations please call and book as they are with the practice nurse as well as the doctor as this cannot be done online.
- For all appointments needing to be seen by both the practice nurse and a doctor, please call reception to ensure a seamless booking process.
- We do keep some appointments open for emergencies, sick children, and urgent medical problems. Please discuss with the reception staff if you feel that the reason for your visit is urgent.
- Cancellations: If you are unable to attend your scheduled appointment, please call reception to advise us, preferably with more than 24 hours’ notice. This will assist us in managing a steady waiting room flow.
- Multiple people for consultation: Please book an individual appointment for each person needing to be seen to ensure fair length of consultation to everyone, and to assist us in managing a steady waiting room flow.
- A Long Appointment is an appointment that goes for more than 15-minutes and cannot be booked online.
- Please call our reception on 02 9725 1323 for your fully bulk billed long appointment consultation
- Examples of long consultations are:
- Complex or multiple (more than 2) medical problems
- Insurance medicals
- Counselling/ mental health care plans
- Review of Chronic disease care plans
- Geriatric assessments
- All childhood immunisations
- Pension or disability assessments
- Cervical Pap Smears
- Commercial driving medicals
- Detailed medical check ups
- Pre-employment medicals
- Please schedule your Long Appointment in the afternoon, as sick and urgent cases tend to occur in the mornings.
COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccinations
SFMP is working to vaccinate our local area and wider community against the COVID-19 and Influenza viruses.
COVID-19 vaccines help to prevent serious illness and death from COVID-19. They are free for everyone in Australia.
Flu vaccination is free for those over 65, under 5, pregnant women and those with serious medical conditions.
Book with us for your annual flu vaccine, and for your COVID-19 vaccine. You can have them both, just not at the same time. We will schedule your 2nd & 3rd COVID-19 vaccine dose for you, so you don’t have to.
We ask that all patients remain with us for 15minutes post vaccination, and those of higher risk will be asked to remain for 30minutes post vaccine, so that we can ensure your immediate safety.
We will provide you with information relating to your vaccine, including signs to look out for, and what you can expect.
Immunisation for Your Child
Immunisation or vaccination protects you and your family against harmful infections or diseases. It works by using your body’s natural defence mechanism – your immune system – to build up your resistance to specific infections.
At Smithfield Family Medical Practice we take into account your full history and circumstances and recommend the immunisation program we think is right for you and your family.
It is very important to protect your child against serious childhood diseases. We follow the Australian Government’s Child immunisation schedule.
If you are 65 years or over, an Indigenous Australian aged over 50 years or an adult with a chronic illness you have increased risk of contracting influenza (flu) and pneumococcal disease. If you get these diseases, they might make you seriously ill and permanently damage your health.
Our doctors look holistically at your overall health and advise you whether Influenza ,Pneumococcal or Zostavax ( Shingles) immunisations is important for you.
You can read more about Immunisation for older Australians here.
Pregnancy and Vaccinations
Immunisation is an important way to protect you and your unborn baby against some infections. If you are planning a pregnancy please make an appointment to see one of our doctors.
We recommend that both parents are up to date with whooping cough vaccination.
During the flu season we recommend influenza immunisation for all pregnant women.
If not already vaccinated against COVID-19, all pregnant women should consider vaccination. Useful reading: Pregnancy – Protection and Vaccination from preconception to birth
New Patient Form
- If you haven’t been to Smithfield Family Medical Practice before, you can save time now by filling in our online form here
Phoning my doctor
- If you have an urgent matter to discuss with the doctor, the doctor may be able to take your call, please call our reception on 02 9725 1323 and give them a brief explanation of the urgency of the call. Your message will be relayed to the doctor to see how soon they can take your call.
- If your call cannot be taken immediately, the doctor will call you back.
- If the matter is complex, a consultation may be more appropriate
Repeat prescriptions and referrals
- All appointments and referrals, even repeated ones, require an appointment for consultation. Referral letters will not be backdated.
- By coming to see us, we can ensure your referral letter is updated with the most relevant information so that your specialist can make the best determinations and give you the best advice they can.
- Each time you see your doctor for a renewed script, the doctor will review your medications to ensure you are on the best protocol as new medications and combinations of medications are always being developed, and your condition may also have changed.
- Medical certificates required to explain an absence, or time off work, all require an appointment, and will not be backdated.
- Your pathology or blood test results will be relayed to you by phone or SMS from your doctor, or the practice nurse, and any further management required will be organised during the call.
- In special circumstances, you will be contacted to make an appointment for a face-to-face booking to discuss your abnormal results.
- For general enquiries please email email@example.com
- Please call us for urgent matter, do not email for urgent matters.
- Our practice manager views these emails prior to passing them on to the doctor.
- If you need to make an appointment, please book online, or call us on 02 9725 1323
Change of personal details
- Please make sure you always advise us of any changes to your:
- Any of your phone numbers
- Email address
- Healthcare Card, Medicare Card, Pension Card, etc.
- Certain activities require ongoing regular contact with us, or follow up appointments – we call these ‘Recalls’
- We will send you reminders for recalls by your preferred method, eg: email, SMS, regular mail, or by phone call.
- All records kept at Smithfield Family Medical Practice are digital.
- Your medical record is confidential and all information about you is held securely and kept in alignment with the Privacy Act 1988.
- We cannot and will not share your information without your prior consent.
- We always want to improve and provide better and better services to you.
- To show that we are transparent in the feedback we receive, and our improvement actions, you can leave feedback live and online on our Facebook page, or on google.
- We will always respond to your feedback.
- We document all feedback, including verbal feedback.
- We ask that you inform us of all complaints, suggestions, and compliments either in person, or in writing.
- You can fill out our feedback form here, for the most direct method to get our attention.
Fees and Billings
- All consultations, tests and procedures carried out at Smithfield Family Medical Practice are fully Bulk Billed.
- Smithfield family medical practice is a bulk billing practice, although the following items require a fee:
- Pre-employments medicals
- Heavy vehicle driver medical assessment
- Overseas visitor without medicare
- Completion of TPD and superannuation claim forms
Please contact reception on 02 9725 1323 for more information on those associated costs
After Hours Services
- Smithfield Family Medical Practice is supported out of hours by both the National Home Doctor Service, and Sydney Medical Service Co-op.
- The National Home Doctor Service can be contacted on 13SICK (13 7425)
- Sydney Medical Service Co-op can be contacted on 13 HOME GP, or 02 8724-6300
- All after hours services are fully Bulk Billed
Why wait when you need to see a doctor? Avoid waiting by booking your appointment online now. Yes, we bulk bill!
Click the button below to make an appointment via
ALL CONSULTATIONS BY APPOINTMENTS
|Mon||8.30 am – 6 pm|
|Tue||8.30 am – 6 pm|
|Wed||8.30 am – 6 pm|
|Thu||8.30 am – 3 pm|
|Fri||8.30 am – 6 pm|
|Sat||8 am – 12 pm|
|Sun / Public Holidays Closed|
Welcome to our family-centered service. Download the New Patient form here.
After Hours Services
SYDNEY MEDICAL SERVICES
02 8274 6300
NATIONAL HOME DOCTOR
13 74 25
1 800 022 222
We have parking onsite for Parents with prams, the Elderly, and the Disabled. Please consider parking on Justin Street, or at the nearby shops